As the largest and most vibrant city in the state, Minneapolis depends on purposeful, dedicated and innovative employees. Minneapolis has a large variety of careers for people of all experiences and backgrounds who come together for a singular purpose-serving the residents, businesses and visitors of Minneapolis.
Responsible for energy data analysis, energy procurement, energy conservation, renewable energy and alternative fuel, utility franchise management, energy budgeting and accounting, emissions reduction, developing energy policies and procedures, and representing the City on energy issues.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintain Energy Cap database for tracking energy costs and consumption (electricity, natural gas, propane, steam, chilled water, and motor fuels)
- Develop a benchmarking strategy which will aide in the identification of cost and consumption reduction opportunities.
- Manage energy improvement related projects.
- Periodic review for accuracy of energy bills.
- Provide periodic reports on the status of energy and cost and consumption management.
- Analyze trends in consumption and ensure management of peak demand.
- Periodic review and assurance of optimal energy rate by meter.
- Monitor and report trends in the energy supply market.
- Administer energy purchasing agreements.
- Manage the request for proposals process for energy supply.
- Identify energy conservation targets from energy cap database analysis.
- Review facility and systems designs for maximum energy efficiency and ordinance compliance.
- Manage commissioning and retro commissioning efforts.
- Pursue rebates, grants, incentives for efficiency upgrades.
- Prioritize energy projects from a capital perspective and justify funding.
- Assist in the development, review and implementation of renewable energy alternatives and develop recommendations for alternative energy programs.
- Pursue funding for the evaluation and implementation of renewable energy projects.
- Specify and install renewable energy production on City owned facilities.
- Management negotiation and implantation of the utility franchise agreements.
- Assist in budgeting energy cost and consumption.
- Approve energy invoices as required.
- Utilize energy database to support the budget process.
- Analyze utility rate models to identify cost saving opportunities.
- Develop strategies for emissions reduction for municipal operations.
- Manage the energy performance reporting of municipal operations for the cities benchmarking ordinance.
- Develop and recommend policies and implement procedures related to energy conservation, reduction, and renewable energy.
- Assist in the development of Public Ordinances related to energy conservation, emissions reduction, and renewable energy.
- Support the cities sustainability, energy and environmental initiatives as requested.
- Periodically attend meetings and provide reports to the Citizens Environmental Advisory Committee.
- Represent the City in meetings with State and Local Governmental Officials
- Assist sustainability in assessing and responding to tariff dockets filed at the Public Utilities Commission.
- Participate in various community awareness meetings for energy cost and consumption.
- Participate on community task forces including schools, County, and regional organization on energy related matters.
- Manage facilities energy improvement projects as assigned.
- Support Property Services Facilities Operations and Maintenance group as assigned
WORKING CONDITIONS: Office setting with some field work
Required Education: Four Year Degree in Energy Management, Engineering, Facilities Management, or closely related field
Required Experience: Five years of experience performing related duties.
Licenses/Certifications: Certified Energy Manager within 12 months of hire.
The selection process will consist of one or more of the following steps: a rating of relevant education and experience and/or an oral examination (100%). It is important that your application show all the relevant education and experience you possess. This information will be used to determine which candidates will proceed in the selection process. A submitted application is also used to verify the answers to any supplemental questions. Only those candidates who attain a passing score (70%) on each step in the selection process will be placed on the eligible list. The City of Minneapolis Human Resources Department reserves the right to limit the number in any phase of the selection process.
The hiring authority reserves the right to determine the maximum number of candidates to interview from the established eligible list. If the hiring authority decides to interview other than by exam score order, they may select additional people to interview based on a candidate's education or experience related to the field, work history, or skills uniquely related to the operational needs of the position.
Eligible List Statement
The names of applicants who meet minimum qualification and who pass the screening process shall be placed on the eligible list for employment consideration. This list will be certified to the hiring manager who may use the list to fill a vacancy of the same job title. This eligible list will expire [three] months after it has been established.
This position is represented by a collective bargaining agreement between the City of Minneapolis and the Minneapolis Professional Employees Association (CPE). For more information on the terms and conditions of this agreement please visit: https://www2.minneapolismn.gov/government/departments/hr/labor-agreements/professional-employees/
The City has determined that a criminal background check and/or qualifications check may be necessary for certain positions with this job title. Applicants may be required to sign an informed consent form allowing the City to obtain their criminal history and/or verify their qualifications in connection with the position sought. Applicants who do not sign the informed consent form will not be further considered for the position.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Good knowledge of and the ability to perform energy audits.
• Good knowledge energy cost and consumption management.
• Knowledge of energy procurement and of price hedging practices.
• Good knowledge of modern office software applications.
• Ability to provide training and education to internal staff on energy issues.
• Ability to develop both internal and Public Policy for energy issues.
• Ability to perform calculations of energy consumption and conservation.
• Strong financial analysis skills.
• Strong written and verbal communications skills.