Crime Analyst I
As the largest and most vibrant city in the state, Minneapolis depends on purposeful, dedicated and innovative employees. Minneapolis has a large variety of careers for people of all experiences and backgrounds who come together for a singular purpose -- serving the residents, businesses and visitors of Minneapolis.
In this position, you will perform crime analysis and mapping work in support of Minneapolis Police Department crime prevention and investigation activities.
Standard business hours: 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Anticipated starting salary range: $56,914.00 - $63,129.00/annually, depending on qualifications.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide concise and detailed activity reports through compilation and review of criminal trend and pattern data to help identify the time, place, and characteristics of involved parties, modus operandi, and other data which can help investigators and help in directing deployment of staff.
- Perform tactical, strategic, operational analysis and enhance crime maps by incorporating information from the police information management systems (PIMS) and other sources to identify patterns and trends of criminal activity in the City within the assigned area.
- Perform systematic studies of crime and disorder problems (demographic, spatial, temporal factors) by reviewing police incident and arrests.
- Provide concise and detailed activity reports about criminal activities and crime statistics in order to identify and forecast crime patterns and trends.
- Detect and describe tactical, administrative, and strategic links, patterns, and trends in crime.
- Update maps and correct errors on maps as needed.
- Perform statistical and analytical research involving the use of computer applications, random statistical samplings, correlation, and probability studies, etc., and maintain databases, for the purpose of creating analytical reports.
- Communicate with the public, other City employees and outside law enforcement personnel to collect crime information.
- Use electronic spreadsheets, desktop publishing and statistical applications in support of public safety efforts of the police department.
- Develop, interpret, and distribute statistical reports on crime patterns.
- Produce written documents such as reports and crime analysis bulletins with clearly organized thoughts to disseminate crime statistics, suspect information and Modus Operandi patterns.
- Facilitate the weekly m-stat meeting by providing maps and crime pattern presentations and assisting staff in presenting information.
- Prepare and provide specialized reports on operations and policies as requested.
- Provide training in the use of map making software and crime analysis to other MPD staff.
- Lead and assists other staff in the approach and design of analytical review and the use of programs and computer technology to complete projects.
Working Conditions: Standard office setting
Bachelor's Degree in Business, Criminal Justice or equivalent.
Two years of closely related experience.
An equivalent combination of education and experience closely related to the duties of the position MAY be considered.
Applied knowledge of Tableau and Smartsheet
A resume is required. You must attach an updated resume to your application.
We encourage you to prepare your responses to the supplemental questions in advance. Questions 5,6,7, and 8 require response by text field, limited to 300 characters.
The selection process will consist of one or more of the following steps: a rating of relevant education and experience and/or an oral examination (100%). It is important that your application show all the relevant education and experience you possess. This information will be used to determine which candidates will proceed in the selection process. A submitted application is also used to verify the answers to any supplemental questions. Only those candidates who attain a passing score (70%) on each step in the selection process will be placed on the eligible list. The City of Minneapolis Human Resources Department reserves the right to limit the number in any phase of the selection process.
The City has determined that a thorough Minneapolis Police Department criminal background check is necessary for positions with this job title. Applicants must sign an informed consent allowing the City to obtain their criminal history information in connection with the position sought. Applicants who do not sign the informed consent form will not be considered for the position.
Drug and Alcohol Testing
All job applicants must pass a pre-employment drug and alcohol test once a conditional offer of employment has been made. Applicants will be required to sign a notification and consent form prior to undergoing drug and alcohol testing. Applicants who do not consent to undergo drug and alcohol testing will not be required to do so and the City will withdraw the conditional job offer, resulting in the job applicant no longer being considered for the position.
This position is represented by a collective bargaining agreement between the City of Minneapolis and the Minneapolis Professional Employees Association (MPEA). For more information on the terms and conditions of this agreement please visit: http://www.minneapolismn.gov/www/groups/public/@hr/documents/webcontent/wcmsp-214447.pdf
Eligible List Statement
The names of applicants who meet minimum qualification and who pass the screening process shall be placed on the eligible list for employment consideration. This list will be certified to the hiring manager who may use the list to fill a vacancy of the same job title. This eligible list will expire three months after it has been established.
The hiring authority reserves the right to determine the maximum number of candidates to interview from the established eligible list. If the hiring authority decides to interview other than by exam score order, they may select additional people to interview based on a candidate's education or experience related to the field, work history, or skills uniquely related to the operational needs of the position.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Professional level working knowledge of Tableau and Smartsheet.
- Mathematical aptitude, functional reasoning, and expertise in data collection, data manipulation, statistics, theory, and research.
- Knowledge of crime pattern analysis techniques, including statistical, geospatial, victim-o-logical, and epidemiological research principles and practice.
- Ability to suggest alternative solutions to crime analysis problems.
- Knowledge of Statistical program languages; and date processing methods, procedures, and equipment.
- Ability to work under urgent demands, priorities, and varied requests to meet frequent deadlines from police, elected officials, and community members.
- Ability to explain complex ideas and criminological aspects of behavior clearly, to many different types of individuals.
- Knowledge of modern office software and GIS mapping software.
- Knowledge of crime nomenclature, terminology, and police and criminal vernacular.
- Good knowledge of Police Operations in order to assist other MPD Staff with analytical projects.