Building & Grounds Specialist (driving)
Internal Close Date: January 16, 2020 Grade Level: N/A
External Close Date: January 23, 2020 Salary: $18.16 per hour
Department/Location: Public Housing Program / Scattered Sites AMP
The primary purpose of this position is to perform routine janitorial duties in public housing high-rise buildings and family housing properties owned by MPHA. This includes cleaning and upkeep of common areas, such as community room hallways, public bathrooms, stairwells, and offices. The incumbent also cleans vacant units and prepares units for re-rental. In addition, the incumbent performs routine grounds maintenance duties, including lawn mowing, yard care, and snow removal.
All activities must support the Minneapolis Public Housing Authority's ("MPHA" or "Authority") mission, vision and values.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The position duties and responsibilities listed below describe the general nature and scope of work. Other responsibilities, duties and skills may be required and assigned, as needed.
- Prepares units for re-rental, including, but not limited to:
- Removing debris and leftover belongings;
- Sweeping, stripping, waxing, and buffing floors;
- Cleaning appliances, including stoves, refrigerators, and air conditioners;
- Vacuuming and shampooing carpets;
- Cleaning kitchens, bathroom, and fixtures; and
- Cleaning and/or replacing window blinds.
- Performs routine janitorial duties, including, but not limited to:
- Removing trash;
- Sweeping, mopping, stripping, waxing, and buffing high-rise common area floors, including hallways and community spaces;
- Washing windows, walls, doors, and elevator cars; and
- Cleaning trash compactor chutes and trash rooms.
- Maintains grounds by mowing, trimming, fertilizing, and irrigating lawns. Removes weeds, rakes leaves, and plants and maintains shrubs and trees. Cleans and flushes gutters and downspouts. Removes large trash items from grounds.
- Removes snow and ice from walkways, exterior stairs, parking lots, and roofs. Salts and sands icy areas. This work will also be performed on holidays and weekends as required by MPHA snow removal procedures and City Ordinance.
- Maintains logs and records, such as vacant units, snow removal, vehicle maintenance, daily time records, etc.
- Performs minor building maintenance duties such as light bulb replacement, electrical switch/outlet cover plate replacement, and smoke alarms. Checks running water problems and may unclog drains with plunger or hand snake.
- Assists Pest Control team with set up of heat equipment. Removes furniture infested with bed bugs by wrapping items first for containment.
- Monitors the security of housing units.
- Picks up and delivers janitorial and grounds maintenance equipment and supplies.
- Attends and participates in staff meetings and training, as required.
- Performs on-call, after-hours duty as assigned.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
MPHA expects all employees to exhibit the following behavioral skills:
Customer Service : Meets/exceeds the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers; identifies, understands monitors and measures the needs of both internal and external customers; talks and acts with customers in mind; and recognizes working colleagues as customers.
Commitment : Sets high standards of performance; pursues aggressive goals and works hard/smart to achieve them; strives for results and success; conveys a sense of urgency and brings issues to closure; and persists despite obstacles and opposition.
Effective Communication : Employee is prepared, clear, concise and organized in all facets of communication in order to fully establish understanding. Actively listens and understands the audience to adapt message appropriately. Communicates information with appropriate personnel in a timely manner.
Teamwork : Balances team and individual responsibilities; exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views; gives and welcomes feedback; contributes to building a positive team spirit; puts success of team above own interests; supports everyone's efforts to succeed.
Initiative : Proactively seeks solutions to resolve unexpected challenges. Actively assists others without formal/informal direction. Possesses the capacity to learn and actively seeks developmental feedback. Applies feedback for continued growth by mastering concepts needed to perform work.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The work environment requires a demonstrated ability to interact effectively with persons from diverse economic, social, and ethnic backgrounds, including new immigrants, limited English language proficiency clients, and clients with a variety of mental health issues and other disabilities.
Position generally works on Authority properties, which may cause the employee to experience a range in temperatures and other weather conditions. The noise level may be loud, and the environment may be more hazardous than a standard office environment. This position may be required to work with contractors as well as Authority residents.
Experience and Skills:
Education and/or Experience
High School Diploma or GED Certificate. A minimum of one (1) year of experience performing routine janitorial and grounds maintenance duties is highly preferred. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
Some positions may require possession of a valid driver's license. Those positions may also require use of a personal vehicle and evidence of individual automobile insurance coverage, or the ability to be insurable under the Authority's automobile insurance plan at the standard rate. This position may also require access to reliable private transportation during the workday and when assigned to after-hours, on-call duty. Must pass a criminal history background check.
To perform this job successfully, the employee should be able to successfully operate a variety of applicable hand-held tools and equipment. Must have the ability to learn proper use of other tools and equipment as required by assigned tasks. Willingness and ability to learn basic computer skills to enter work hours on internet-based system and send and receive emails.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
To perform this job successfully, the employee is frequently required to travel to various Authority properties to perform maintenance work. Daily movements include sitting; standing; reaching and grasping; operating handheld tools and other machinery; moving about the properties; and attending onsite meetings and offsite meetings. The employee must be able to exchange information in person, in writing, and via telephone. The employee must occasionally transport up to 50 pounds.
The Minneapolis Public Housing Authority also offers an excellent benefits package that includes: Medical and Dental Insurance; Retirement plan; 457 deferred compensation plan; Group term life insurance (and optional term life insurance plans for family members); Long term disability insurance; paid sick leave; paid vacation leave; 11 paid holidays per year; tuition reimbursement program.